Friday, March 4, 2011

Does this count as a negation?


Firing up my aggregator today and pointing to the Guardian, I found two amusing posts. Alex Slater seems to think that all Americans are privately civil.
Sure, the "have a nice day" stereotype has been done to death. And yes, perhaps some foreigners see American chirpiness as disingenuous. But when it comes to interpersonal interaction I find it downright comforting to be surrounded by a people that seem to be so genuinely interested in my experience: where I'm from, what I do, whether I'm enjoying myself.

Followed by this little gem
As the video shows, the rhetoric of the protesters became increasingly venomous toward the families and children who came to attend the ICNA Relief fundraising dinner. Protesters shouted invective statements such as "Go home terrorist," "Muhammad is a pervert, Muhammad is a child molester," "Go home and beat your wife, she needs a good beating," at the event-goers.

You know what? I'm tired of pointing out events like these. Get a hint already.

No comments: